English Proficiency

If your native language is neither English nor German, you must submit proof of your English language proficiency.


This is not required if you have attended a school, university or college where English is the language of instruction.


If your native language is German, your "Abitur" or "Matura" grade in English will serve as proof of English proficiency. If you cannot submit a copy of your "Abitur" or "Matura" or it does not show a grade for English you will have to submit a result of one of the tests below.


All applicants whose native language is neither English nor German and who have not received their previous education at a college or university where English is the language of instruction must submit scores from one of the tests below:


a) Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).  The following test forms are possible:

Internet-Based Test (TOEFL iBT - minimum score 79)

TOEFL Computer-Based Test (CBT - minimum score 213)

TOEFL Paper-Based Test (PBT - minimum score 550)


    TOEFL Code for BIG-NSE: 6424


    b) Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) minimum level C


    c) Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) minimum level C


    d) International English Language Testing System - Academic Test (IELTS) with a minimum of 6.5.


    For all tests, scores that are more than two years old might not be considered valid.